Please donate directly to the department’s enrichment fund.
Gifts to the Geography Department may be designed for a specific purpose or fund or given to the Department’s Enrichment Fund as discretionary funding. Be assured that it will make a difference! Existing funds are shown below. Please contact Derek Alderman if you would like more information or if you would like to target your gift for a purpose not shown. The Development Offices of the College and University would be pleased to have you ask about other forms of giving, such as bequests, charitable lead trusts, and gifts of the remainder interest in a personal residence or farm, and they are set up to help you evaluate the tax benefits of different gift options. All contributors making gifts of a hundred dollars or more are eligible for University recognition via the Gift Club.
- Stewart K. McCroskey Memorial Fund – Established by the McCroskey family after Stewart’s death. This fund supports field research and professional travel by Geography students and faculty.
- Sid Jumper Teachers’ Scholarship Fund – Established in 1995 when Sid Jumper stepped down from the role of Head of the department, this fund supports graduate training for K-12 teachers.
- Bill & Donna Cobble Geography Enhancement Endowment – Proceeds from this fund, established in 1995 by Bill & Donna Cobble in support of undergraduate education in Geography at UTK, are used to enhance the educational experiences of undergraduate students.
- Edwin H. & Elizabeth H. Hammond Endowment Fund in Geography – Established to honor Professor Hammond, who retired in 1987. Gifts to this fund help bring a distinguished geographer, the “Hammond Lecturer” to the department each year.
- Robert G. Long Outstanding Graduate Student Award Fund – The Robert G. Long Award, established to honor Professor Long who retired in 1979, honors one or two graduate students each year for superior scholarship and service to the department. The students are recognized on a plaque and receive checks of $50.
- The J. Harrison and Robbie C. Livingston Professorship Endowment – This fund was established in 1997 by J. Harrison and Robbie C. Livingston to further teaching and research on population problems. Proceeds from this fund supplement the salary of a faculty member who specializes in population issues.
- Geography Department Scholarship Fund – This fund provides one or more tuition scholarships to outstanding undergraduate geography majors.
- The Geography Department Enrichment Fund – This fund may be used to meet special needs as determined by the department faculty. In recent years, it has supplemented our operating budget and provided travel support to professional meetings for faculty and students.
Please send your gift to: Department of Geography, 304 Burchfiel Geography Building, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996-0925. Make checks payable to: University of Tennessee, but also use the memo line on the check to indicate “Geography” and, if you wish, to indicate a specific fund.
- The Geography Technological Enrichment Fund – Established in 1995 by two anonymous donors, the funds are used to provide our computer research labs and classrooms with up-to-date equipment and software.
- Geography Endowment Fund – Donations are invested by the university. The principal generates quarterly interest to the Geography Enrichment Fund.
- The Ralston Family Fund – This endowed fund was established in honor of Bruce Ralston’s mother and father. It enriches a designated faculty member’s research opportunities.