GIS Lab Manager – Department of Geography & Sustainability
The Department of Geography & Sustainability at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) is searching for a full-time GIS Lab Manager. The GIS Lab Manager provides managerial and technical support for both the daily operations of the GIS Lab and is responsible for long-term strategic planning of lab facilities and resources. The GIS Lab Manager provides consultation and advice to researchers and instructors and collaborates with faculty and students in research and instruction using lab facilities and resources. Departmental facilities include three labs for teaching and multiple labs for computing research, containing 60 computers with GIS and data analytics software, LiDAR (FARO x330, FARO x120, and Leica C10), GPS (Trimble and Emlid), and UAVs (DJI, Parrot Multispectral, and others).
The Department of Geography & Sustainability is a diverse department with 24 faculty, 40 graduate students, and over 200 undergraduate students. UTK is a large and dynamic research university in Knoxville, Tennessee, and the flagship public university in the state. The city of Knoxville is a hidden gem surrounded by eight gorgeous lakes, with a beautiful and walkable downtown, a diverse music scene including internationally recognized festivals, active neighborhoods, unique restaurants, and a robust offering of diverse cultural and outdoor activities. UTK is located within easy driving distance to the Great Smoky Mountains, Atlanta, Nashville, Asheville, Charlotte, Louisville, and Cincinnati. It is only a day’s drive to Memphis, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Knoxville and the surrounding counties have a population of more than 850,000 people.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages GIS/Remote Sensing computer labs and facilities
- Manages departmental computer infrastructure and technology
- Provides consultation and advice to faculty and students about geospatial technologies for research and instruction
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering, geography/GIS, or related fields and 4 years of relevant, progressively responsible experience OR a master’s degree in computer science/engineering, geography/GIS, or related fields and 1 year of relevant, progressively responsible experience
- Thorough knowledge of general computer hardware (e.g., workstation, server) and software
- Familiar with Microsoft products, GIS and remote sensing software
- Geospatial database management skills and discipline-specific experience necessary for installing, configuring, updating, and troubleshooting software platforms related to GIS, Remote Sensing, Spatial Analysis, Geo-visualization, Transportation, and Environmental Modelling
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to write articulate and exact documentation
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with departmental faculty, students, and staff, as well as university IT staff
- Organizational skills necessary for constructing schedules, inventorying equipment, and prioritizing work requests
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Three years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Demonstrated experience and success in coordinating GIS/Remote Sensing/Geospatial labs, particularly in university settings
- Demonstrated experience and success in maintaining, evaluating, and troubleshooting the performance of computer hardware, software, and Internet ports
- Familiarity with the computer research and teaching needs of faculty, particularly in Geography.
Interested candidates should complete an online application. For full consideration, applicants should also submit a cover letter detailing relevant experience along with a resume and the name, e-mail address, and telephone number of three professional references. Please contact Prof. Qiusheng Wu (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional questions. The review of applications will begin on August 4, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. We hope for a start date on or before September 1, 2023.